Friday, April 1, 2011

stanglehold of english lit. response

"Stranglehold of English Lit." by Felix Mnthali, argued about the controversy of teaching English literature to the African culture. the author confront this "Jane Austen" superiority system in outrage in disgust. i feel this piece of literature is important not only for his application but for African Americans and other minorities as well. In my childhood, and even still today, black history is only addressed during one month out of the year. Schools, even predominately black schools, mostly teach out the histories of the majority seldom working in the attributions of the minorities. How can one learn of their culture, when their culture is seldom recognized? "your elegance of deceit,
Jane Austen,
Lulled the sons and daughters
of dispossessed
into calf-love
with irony and satire
around imaginary people."
Mnthhali expresses how the natives are blind to their own cultural literature, instead believing that Jane Austen ( the English) is the intelligent literature of study. This is similar to the battle or recognition of African American history in the United States. I feel that our question of heritage and culture  academically go unanswered. Just as those questions that English literature imposed do not benefit African society. The enriching knowledge of the culture is being lost as bias, denial or whatever the excuse maybe, refuse to recognize and educated the histories and literature of the Africans and African Americans. This gave me a clearer vision of the fraud taking place before me. This texts opens your eyes  and enwrapps with a fiery messages. It gave me feeling of anger , disgust,  and even brought me to a point of fear. Fear for my culture, fear for my education, fear of a  trend that doesn't promote the equality that my ancestors gave their lives for.  

1 comment:

  1. What an excellent post. Very well done. I really like how you get to the heart of the poem and apply it to your life now. Your reader response is as strong as the poem. The only thing I would ask is that you use more capital letters. I know that when I feel strongly about something in my writing, I want the ideas down fast, and I don't attend to the punctuation details. Luckily, you can edit blogs! I'd recommend a quick check of the first paragraph and you can add those capital letters in.

    ReplyDelete